Monday, March 4, 2019

Parent Connection March 4


A Time to Reflect
          Some days I start my morning with a slice of toast smeared with a little peanut butter and honey. Do you know that it takes a thousand bees working their whole life to produce one pound of honey? Imagine one of those little worker bees buzzing off by herself, sucking up nectar from those flowers, making her portion of that pound of honey. Her contribution may look impressive to her but to us, it may seem very insignificant.
          Sometimes my human nature likes to think that I can produce a lot of “honey” all by myself. After all, I’m a reasonably good church member. I provide for my family; I am reliable at my job; I am helpful and considerate to those around me. Do you see the little red flag going up? Sly as ever, the devil is trying to shift my eyes to my own “merit” and away from the salvation my Savior accomplished for me.
          The Apostle Paul refocuses my attention to where it needs to be: “It is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast.” My salvation is God’s grace, a gift to me that is all His. He planned it, prepared it, and proclaimed it. He did this for people like me who are totally unworthy. I cannot produce even a single drop of “honey” by my own works to make me appealing to God. All I could do is buzz away from God in ignorance and spite. But God placed a cross on Golgotha, pinned His Son to it as payment for my sin, and then came to me and empowered me to believe in His work of salvation.
          As we enter upon another season of Lent, we take time to reflect on God’s great plan for our salvation. We look for ways to produce “honey”, not to try to earn salvation but to thank our God for His Salvation.

Welcome Mr. Spoerl
          The 5th-8th grade class has a visitor this week.  Mr. Matthew Spoerl from Green Bay, Wisconsin is spending part of his spring break experience with us.  As part of his training to become a teacher, he is participating in an “Early Field Experience.”  He will be observing and helping out with some of the classes and interacting with the students.  We welcome him and will try to make his experience memorable.

Indoor Soccer
          We will practice tonight from 4:30pm to 6:00pm at The Center.  Students will be given a ride to the facility but will need to be picked up there after practice is over.
          Our game this week is Thursday, March 7th, at Lumen Christi, time to be announced.

YMCA Visits
          Grades K - 8th will be swimming at the YMCA one more time this Wednesday, March 6th.  TADS accounts will be charged $3 per student per visit after Wednesday. 

Midweek Lenten Services
          To commemorate the season of Lent at Faith, there will be special midweek worship services for the next six weeks beginning on Wednesday, March 6th continuing until April 10th.  We will have one service beginning at 3:00pm to close out the school day and an identical service at 6:30pm.  These services will last a little more than half an hour.
          If you are unable to worship with us at 3:00pm, your student will meet you out front at the end of the service.

PTF Meeting
          PTF will meet this Thursday, March 7th at 6:00pm.

Late Assignments
          The third quarter grading period ends on Friday, March 8th.  Students who have not turned in assignments due to school absences have until noon on Friday to submit it for grading. 

Early Release and Spring Break
          School lets out at noon this Friday, March 8th, and spring break begins!  There will be no after care that day.  Classes resume on Monday, March 18th. 

Spanish Class
          Classes will meet Monday and Wednesday this week then not again until after spring break.

Happenings at Faith during Spring Break
          Pastor Ewings and Pastor Wagenknecht will still offer Making Life Better class on Monday night at 6:00pm and Tuesday Teen Night at 6:00pm on Tuesday. 
There will be one Lenten worship service on Wednesday, March 13th, beginning with a soup supper at 6:00pm followed by worship at 6:30pm.
          Teens from Wasilla, Eagle River, and Kenai are coming for a teen lock-in on Friday night, March 15th, through Saturday morning.
          Finally, on Saturday, March 16th, at 3:00pm, Faith is having a trivia contest fellowship event for anyone who would like to join us!

March Birthdays
Elizabeth A. – March 16
Blossom M. – March 21
Emma R. – March 21
Lexi K. – March 22
Levi P. – March 22
Pastor Chris – March 23
Connor S. – March 25

No comments:

Post a Comment