Are you ready for Christmas?
If you don’t already, we encourage you to take the opportunity this Advent season to get your family in the habit of devotion together. It only takes a few minutes a day, and a few minutes together in God’s Word not only refreshes our souls and reminds us of the precious gift of the Savior, but also expresses to our children that our God is important enough to take the time. We wouldn’t decide not to eat or sleep because we are “too busy”. Yet we often make excuses to avoid something just as important. Are we really too busy to spend a few moments at our Savior’s feet with our families?
Here are some ideas to help you get started:
- Focus your advent devotions around an advent calendar, an advent wreath, or a “Jesse Tree” to help your children focus their countdown to Christmas.
- Commit yourselves to devotions. Set aside a time in the morning, or in the evening after dinner or before bed. Have everyone in the family put aside other activities to make Christ the center of your family. A few minutes are all that it takes. You do have the time, if it’s important to you!
- Make family attendance at Sunday worship, Advent, and Christmas services the most important events in your family’s holiday celebration. Would you have a birthday party and forget to invite the person whose birthday it is?
- A family devotion can be as simple as a Bible reading and a prayer together. You may also pick up a free copy of the devotion book Meditations, available in our church entrance, which has devotions designed around the Advent and Christmas season. Or make use of online devotions like Grace Moments http://www.timeofgrace.org/moments or
WELS Daily Devotions http://www.wels.net/spiritual-help/daily-devotion .
· Make use of the Advent Challenge from Time of Grace (on the reverse side of the attached school calendar).
Now is the time to start a great routine that can strengthen you and your family throughout your whole lives.
God bless your Christmas and Advent preparations, and your week!
You are invited to join us for our weekly chapel service this Thursday, December 3rd from 8:30 to 9:00 a.m. Our chapel service message will be presented by Pastor Moua from the Faith Hmong congregation. This week’s theme: Living for Jesus means Caring for God’s Creation (Baal-Hanan). Families and friends are invited to come join us in starting our day with the Lord.
If classes are cancelled due to weather conditions announcements will be posted on our school blog http://faithparentconnection.blogspot.com
as well as on our Faith Lutheran School Facebook page. PLEASE NOTE: WE DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY CLOSE WHEN ASD SCHOOLS CLOSE. If ASD is closed we may yet be open. Please call the school office or Mr. Schneck at 331-7761 if you are uncertain.
“Thank you!” to all those who contributed to our Thanksgiving food collection. Collected food was given to the Alaska Food Bank. Thanks for being a blessing!
Winter is here…
Please MAKE SURE that your child has the proper clothing for recess EVERY DAY:
· a winter coat
· snow boots
Please check your child before they leave your home in the morning AND before they get out of the car to make sure they have everything they need.
Do you need winter clothing or have winter clothing that you no longer need? See the attached flyer for information on our Winter Clothing Exchange.
The Junior Choir will sing at King of Kings in Wasilla this Sunday, December 7th at their 10:30 a.m. service. Students should be at the church by 10:10 a.m. to prepare. If your child needs a ride out to Wasilla, please contact Mrs. Schneck. She will be leaving the Faith parking lot at 9:00 a.m.
Grade 3-5 Field Trip
Grades 3-5 will be attending Alaska Junior Theater’s Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great at the Performing Arts Center on Friday, December 12th. Mr. Zarnstorff has two spots for chaperones available if any parents would like to join them. Please contact him if you are interested in attending with the class.
PTF Good Sale and Silent Auction Saturday Dec 6th 2-5 p.m.
This Saturday in the Fellowship Hall, PTF will be hosting a bake sale, goodie sale and silent auction. The silent auction will end on Sunday at 12:30. Baked goods, craft items, and filled baskets will be up for auction and for sale. There will also be items from Mary Kay, Tastefully Simple, Norwex, and Wildtree. All the proceeds, 100% of the profits, go to support Faith Lutheran School. Please show your support by stopping by on Saturday.
Donations for the Bake Sale and Basket Auction
Donations for the bake sale and basket auction on Saturday are needed. If you can help with a donation please contact Mary Klebs at 727-2326. Donations would need to be dropped off Friday or Saturday morning.
School Calendar for this week:
Monday, December 1st
· Making Life Better Bible Information Class
6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Wednesday, December 3rd
- Junior Choir 12:30 – 1:00 p.m.
Thursday, December 4th
- School Chapel Service 8:30 a.m.
- Handchime Choir 12:30-1:00 p.m.
Saturday, December 6th
- Christmas for Kids 9:00 a.m. to noon
- PTF Good Sale and Silent Auction 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, December 7th
· Junior Choir sings at King of Kings, Wasilla
And Coming Up…
Friday, December 19th
· School Christmas Service
6:30 p.m. at UAA Music Hall
Please note: This is a school function where the students will be presenting the service. All Faith students are expected to be in attendance.
December 22nd to January 2nd
· Christmas Break